Wednesday, January 31, 2007


I've been thinking a lot about the healing process lately. In large part because I am really starting to see the healing that is taking place within myself. For most of my life, I felt young. No matter what age I was, I always felt younger. As a kid and even through high school, I would see adults and picture what life at 21 or 25 or 30 would be like. But when I reached 21, I didn't feel like how I thought I would at that age. Especially after graduating college and getting a job. When I turned 25 and was teaching and living in San Francisco, I looked at my life and inside I felt like I was still such a child. I hadn't really grown up. I wondered if I would always feel this way. If throughout the rest of my life, I would find myself at an age and be disappointed that I hadn't grown into that age yet.

Well, here I am at 27 and I no longer feel like the late bloomer. In fact, within the span of about ten to twelve months, I feel like I've surpassed my age. And I feel comfortable in my body and with myself about who I am and where I'm at in my life at 27. The ways that I have been stretched to my limits and beyond in the past year have given me the ability to finally feel comfortable and content with who I am.

I should mention here that I received a fabulous job offer this week, which I accepted (with extreme gratitude). Earlier in my writing, I talked about feeling like I was suspended in midair-I had taken this leap into the unknown, had left the familiar, but could not yet see where I would be landing. Now, I have landed. And I am so grateful to be where I am at in my life right now. I know that the past seven months of uncertainty were given to me for a reason and that I needed that time to work on myself and make changes in my life. However, I am savoring this moment that I can release deeply into. "Ahhhhh," I exhale my sigh of relief. It is over. I have made it through. Thank you, Spirit, thank you.

My sister, Tiff, emailed me saying, "Isn't it crazy that this is what has been planned for you all along?" It reminded me of a book I love (read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, it is amazing). In it, she talks about a Sufi poem and says, "God long ago drew a circle in the sand exactly around the spot where you are standing right now. I was never not coming here. This was never not going to happen." That is exactly how I feel right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read a great quote, in my daily meditation reading and I thought I would pass it along to you and your journey.."The best of all possible gifts is a tranquil mind. You can't go out and buy it. You have to earn it for yourself..."
You have to be proud of yourself for taking the steps to "earn" you serenity.