Friday, December 22, 2006

As the year comes to a close, it brings up thoughts of how the past year was spent and how to improve ourselves in the year to come. I’ve never been big on New Year’s Resolutions. I suppose because even the few years that I came up with some, I never really followed through on them.

This year feels different. I feel like I want to create a ritual to acknowledge this past year and set intentions for the upcoming year. I’ve already spent some time thinking and writing in my journal about this. I can honestly say that this year has been one in which I have made the most growth as a person. I look back to January, and see the place that I was at then compared to where I am now, and so much progress has been made.

I started out 2006 by being honest, admitting that I didn’t want to teach. From there, it seemed that the Spirit began guiding me: through the Artist’s Way, into my health program, reconnecting with yoga and myself, beginning to meditate. It’s hard to explain on paper the difference in my being, my self. Recently, I have really begun to notice how much more aware I am of my mind and thoughts, how I am able to watch what I am thinking and really turn my thoughts around when they falter back into old thought patterns. I feel the most mentally and emotionally healthy that I ever have. For all of these gifts, I am thankful. I am thankful that I have had this year to discover and realize who I really am.

When I think of my family and this past year, there are so many thoughts that come to mind. It has been a challenging and rewarding years in so many ways and for so many of us. Through moves and job changes and death and heartbreak, each difficult situation seemed to bring different people together to connect in new ways. To me, it seems we are uniting in a more open and honest way.

I want to tell Tiffany that I admire her courage for embarking on a solo journey to Thailand, in search of finding peace within herself. Katie, your strength and endurance in going through more surgeries without complaint amazes me. To Kels, I congratulate you on making your way through the tumultuous times of high school. Know that it is almost over, and you will be on to bigger and better things! You have many new experiences ahead of you and I am excited for your next stage of life. Trevor and Porsha, I have seen so many transformations take place this year. I am proud of your commitment and perseverance. Mom, through moves and new jobs and losing your mom, this has been a year of changes. But I have seen a more peaceful and accepting side of you.

As for 2007, my intentions are to continue with what I have been doing: searching, discovering, listening, paying attention, learning, and accepting. I want to deepen my yoga practice, as well as my work with meditation. I plan to continue my current health program and add to it when I feel it necessary (I will be going to an acupuncturist in January and will see where that leads). I think my biggest, most challenging intention for the new year is to meet new people and allow myself to be open and honest in these interactions. I have hidden my social side in many ways since moving to San Francisco. I feel ready to open up that part of me again, letting new people deeply into my life, which I haven’t done in a long time.

I look back at this year with much gratitude and appreciation. I know that this will stick out in my memory as an important time of life. In looking forward, I feel a strong positive energy. Things will continue to evolve and deepen. I am excited and ready for what lies ahead. And as for this moment, I am grateful for the space I have carved out inside of me that can quietly accept (with a smile) just being right here, right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so great that you are living in the moment and being "right here right now." I loved reading this email and feel proud of how much you've done and the journey you have been on this year. As always I admire you and hope to follow in your footsteps (spiritually speaking) don't worry I won't be following you locationally any time soon!haha
keep the blogs coming!