Friday, April 04, 2008

In the past two days, I received two emails that mentioned the 29-Day Giving Challenge. I went to the site and read about. It sounded like a good idea, but I put in the back of my mind as something I might do later. Then yesterday, as I was waiting on the corner for my bus and looking down the street to see if it was coming, a man stepped into my line of view, trying to get my attention. I looked at him and smiled.

"How are you doing today?" he asked.

"I'm good," I smiled. "How are you?"

"My day's been okay. Thanks for your smile."

And we went our separate ways. Getting on the bus, I knew that my smile had made a difference for this man for some reason. I had given a smile. And I thought back to the 29-Day Giving Challenge. Even though my mind was resistant and wanted to put it off, it seemed my higher self wanted to make it happen anyway. While I was on the bus a young girl and her mom sat across from me. The mom was scolding the girl for not washing her face that morning. She continued reprimanding the child and criticizing her for blocks. I saw the sad eyes and blank stare on the girl's face. I continued watching them and when the girl looked up at me, I gave her a smile too. My heart beamed as I watched a big smile break out across her face. She kept on looking back at me, smiling, until it we reached my stop and it was time for me to get off.

And so I have begun the challenge. I haven't given yet today and don't know what it is that I'll give, but I know that it will be something before the day is over.

Think about signing up: http://givingchallenge.ning.com/

The world could use more giving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there... Cami here (creator of the 29-Day Giving Challenge). I just wanted to say thanks so much for committing. Can you imagine how much happier the world would be if EACH OF US chose to give mindfully give away a smile each day? I'm thrilled you decided to join us. And am really grateful you are helping promote the challenge by posting it on your blog.