Tuesday, October 24, 2006



I am on a spiritual journey.

I became restless about a year ago, realizing that I was not happy with many aspects of my life. Stress and frustration consumed me at work. My body was tired and worn out, which contributed to my getting sick often. Instead of going to the gym after work, I would come home and drink a glass (more often than not, it turned into glasses) of wine while vegging out in front of the TV. I gained weight and lost interest or didn't have the energy for my hobbies.

This wasn't how I envisioned myself at 26. And it certainly wasn't who I wanted to be.

I made the choice to do something about it. I gave my resignation at work in February. Since then, I have not been sick once. I began to see the end of the road in a career that wasn't for me. I was reading the Artist's Way and doing my morning pages, which gave me a place to let my thoughts loose. In the Artist's Way, the word synchronicity comes up a lot. I like that word. In fact, it has become one of my favorite words: SYNCHRONICITY. I started paying attention to life again, noticing small moments that seemed like coincidences, but that meant more. These moments of synchronicity meant I was beginning to tune into myself, and in doing so, I was becoming in tune with the universal spirit.

I was not happy with my body and knew that I needed to make changes in my routine, and ultimately my lifestyle. I slowly started going back to yoga classes. A few here, a few there. One night, as I browsed through the upcoming yoga workshops, I stumbled upon a Women and Wellness class. I clicked the link, read about the teacher, and clicked on the link to the teacher's website. Synchronicity. I was lead to a holistic health community that helps women to take control of their health and wellness. It is not about depriving yourself or dieting. It is about looking at the relationship we have with food and learning how food contributes to moods and energy level, among many other things. I have been meeting with a health counselor and attending cooking classes for the past 7 months. This has been a gift for me and has unleashed a newfound passion in me for cooking whole and healthy foods.

I feel rested now that I've had 4 months away from any sort of work. I've had time to read more than a dozen books, get myself back into a routine of exercise, take my yoga practice to the next level, catch up on the past 2 seasons of Grey's Anatomy, cook and eat well, and start this blog. I am ready to find a new profession and am hopeful that I will be content with the work that I choose. I have had time to really consider the elements that I want in a job and am not willing to settle for the first offer that comes along. I trust that synchronicity will play a part, now that I am paying attention.

(Here is what Wikipedia has to say about SYNCHRONICITY-Plainly put, it is the experience of having two (or more) things happen coincidentally in a manner that is meaningful to the person or persons experiencing them, where that meaning suggests an underlying pattern)

1 comment:

Joe Barlow, a pastor, 10th of 14 kids, father of 7, husband of one beautiful wife said...

Hi my name is Joe. Since you're on a spiritual journey I thought I'd invite you to my blog. http://joebarlow.blogspot.com/
If it suits you, great. If not, hope I didn't bother you.